EPIC2020 is dedicated to creating a welcoming, respectful, safe conference experience for everyone.
EPIC values and promotes the inherent worth of every person and group; fosters dignity, understanding, and mutual respect; and embraces diversity. We have had this commitment since our first EPIC conference and it makes our community and conferences safe environments. When you attend EPIC2020 you are also making a commitment to these principles.
We gain strength from diversity and welcome new ideas in a complex field by fostering collaboration among groups with different interests, needs, and skills. Conference attendees have opportunities to pursue their own areas of interest as well as be inspired or challenged by unexpected people, practices, and ideas. We believe in the value of continual, multi-disciplinary learning and critique in a constantly changing world.
We invite you to help make EPIC2020 a place that is welcoming and respectful to all participants, regardless of race, gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, national origin, ethnicity, political affiliation, or religion. By creating an inclusive environment, we can make the most of our program—the informative talks, dynamic salons, fascinating films, exciting networking and community richness that is characteristic of EPIC.
What is Harassment?
We will not tolerate harassment of conference participants in any form, in person or online, including but not limited to:
- Verbal comments, including jokes, that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, religion
- Verbal threats or demands or personal attacks
- Sexualized, discriminatory, and/or exploitive images in any conference space, including presentations, sponsor exhibits, or public areas
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any harassing behaviors
- Slights and negative messages based on appearance
By participating in EPIC2020, all attendees, speakers, sponsors, and volunteers commit to following this code of conduct at the conference and conference-related social events at off-site locations, as well as in related online communities and social media. Participants asked to stop harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. Conference participants violating this code of conduct may be expelled from the conference without a refund at the discretion EPIC and the conference organizers.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or experience or witness any violation of this code of conduct, please contact conference co-chairs Tania Lewis or Alexandra Zafiroglu immediately. You may ask a conference volunteer at the registration table to locate them for you or email firstname.lastname@example.org.